Monday, October 19, 2009

Failure

I had tried and failed in the past to read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Since then I've read some books of his essays and really enjoyed his writing. So, I thought, why not give it another try. It's a huge book (1104 pages total), really very very large, but I thought, hey, I've read big books before. I love big books. This will be a challenge but I am "a reader" and I will read this book.

But.... I failed. I mean, I could have persevered for the next month that it would have taken me to get through it but I really read for enjoyment and I was spending more time trying to figure out if I even like the book than I was reading the book. I found myself not reading anything because I would have to read this book. Around pg. 100 I started getting interested but around pg. 200 I realized I was not interested enough. Sad.

On the other hand, I loved this book and zoomed through it in a weekend. Granted, it was a very lazy weekend. Yay, for post-apocalyptic novels. I just love that genre for some reason. Anyway, this was quite good. Its sequel of sorts to her earlier novel Oryx and Crake which I wish I had reread first. I love her inventiveness about what the future will bring. Very dystopian.

So, why is Margaret Atwood not labeled sci-fi? Or only sometimes? In my library's catalog, Oryx and Crake is her only book labeled sci-fi and then only 2 of 3 copies are. One is in regular fiction. So why is this sequel not sci-fi and why isn't Handmaid's Tale or the Blind Assassin? I think it's because she is "literary". Sci-fi just can not be classy. I wonder if it has to do with gender as well. Women don't read sci-fi/fantasy. Women do read Margaret Atwood. Therefore Margaret Atwood can not be sci-fi?

Combining my children's books for this post, I also recently read The Graveyard Book. Loved it. I thought it was interesting how sophisticated the concepts and vocabulary were in this novel. I understand why it is shelved mainly in our teen section even tho I read it for my children's materials class. Basically it was the story of a boy growing up in a graveyard while the man who killed his family hunts him down. Needs to have a sequel and needs to be a movie. But please, no 3D, I am so tired of 3D.

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    It's rather surprising how much authors get pigeon-holed into genres and then are rarely allowed to move around. I wonder how many Sci-Fi fans haven't read a Hand Maiden's Tale simply because it's in the fiction section, not too mention all of the important literary works like H.P. Lovecraft and Arthur C. Clarke that get overlooked because they're in Sci-Fi. Now that I've started digging into Sci-Fi, I'm surprised with all the wonderful books I missed.
    JAK said...
    I was talking to a coworker who went to an ALA presentation on gender differences at libraries. One of the things they talked about was that men own books and women share or borrow books. Because men are the predominant readers of sci-fi it means that our sci-fi section is sort of sad. It's small and weeded often because the circulation for sci-fi books is not high. This has to do with men not using libraries as frequently as women.

Post a Comment